UNSM's Carbon Surcharge Policy
As a means to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions and make UNSM’s practices more sustainable, the Board of Directors passed a motion on June 8, 2012 to support a $5 carbon surcharge on spring and fall conference registration fees. All money collected is held in a special fund and is disbursed annually to municipalities to support local, small-scale sustainability projects, based on recommendations from UNSM’s Board of Directors.
Previous recipients of UNSM’s Carbon Surcharge Fund include:
- 2014: County of Inverness for its Community Energy Reduction Project and the District of West Hants for its Residential Water Conservation Initiative
- 2015: Town of Kentville its Green Roof Project
- 2016: District of Lunenburg for its Electric Bike Program to decrease car use and promote physical activity
- 2017: Town of Middleton for its Bike Repair Station Project
- 2017: County of Pictou for its Food Producers Network
The next call for applications will be in the early fall and the 2018 fund recipient(s) will be announced at UNSM’s Annual Conference.