Ken Simpson Memorial Award
The Union of Nova Scotia Municipalities (UNSM) is pleased to establish the Ken Simpson Memorial Award for Outstanding Public Service and Leadership in Nova Scotia Municipal Government. This Award perpetuates the memory of Kenneth Robert Bruce Simpson who served as Executive Director of the Union of Nova Scotia Municipalities for 19 years, from 1990 to 2009. Ken passed away tragically from cancer on April 17, 2011 at the age of 51. Throughout his tenure, Ken demonstrated exemplary public service, leadership and organizational vision. Ken was an intelligent, ethical, honest, imaginative, loyal and dedicated employee. Under his management leadership, the UNSM prospered and grew into the acknowledged, collective voice of Nova Scotia municipal government.
The establishment of the Ken Simpson Memorial Award provides an opportunity for the UNSM to recognize a current or former mayor, warden or councillor whose actions and demeanor demonstrates:
- exceptional community leadership, statesmanship and commitment to good governance
- efforts that improve the quality of life for residents in the municipality
- personal qualities of integrity, intelligence and vision
- respect for others’ views and treatment of municipal colleagues, employees and other stakeholders with courtesy, openness, patience and fairness.
Award Selection Committee
- An Award Selection Committee shall be established comprised of the UNSM President, Vice President, Immediate Past-President and Executive Director. The UNSM Policy Analyst shall serve as secretary to the committee.
- The Award Selection Committee shall select the successful applicant based on a scoring system from criteria developed by the Committee.
- Only current or former Nova Scotia municipal elected officials are eligible for nomination.
- Nominations may be made by elected officials of the member municipality and/or by municipal staff who have knowledge of the individual’s contributions.
- The application form should be accompanied by signed, supporting letters (minimum of two to a maximum of five in number), which describe the nominee's exceptional contributions to municipal government and character within the above listed program criteria.
- Persons nominated but not selected for the award may be re-nominated in subsequent years.
- Nominations must be received at the UNSM office by September 30 in any given year in which the Award is being presented.
- The completed application form together with supporting documentation should be sent to UNSM Manager, Member Relations Lyle Goldberg by e-mail (), fax (902-425- 5592) or by regular mail at: Ken Simpson Memorial Award, c/o Union of Nova Scotia Municipalities, Suite 1304, 1809 Barrington Street, Halifax, NS B3J 3K8.
Presentation of Award
The Ken Simpson Memorial Award will be presented to the successful recipient at the 2017 UNSM Annual Conference.
Previous Recipients of the Award
- Mr. Robert Stead, former Mayor for the Town of Wolfville (2013 Recipient)
- Mr. Laurence Mawhinney, former Mayor for the Town of Lunenburg (2015 Recipient)
- Mr. Aldric d'Entremong, former Warden for the District of Argyle (2017 Recipient)
PRESENTATION OF 2017 AWARD TO MR. ALDRIC D'ENTREMONT, FORMER WARDEN FOR DISTRICT OF ARGYLE