1. UNSM Appointments to Committees:
NS RCMP Contract Management Committee: Jacques Dube, Halifax, and Louis Coutinho, Town of Windsor were appointed. Councillor Michael Gregory, County of Colchester was previously appointed and will continue to serve on the committee.
Joint Police Services and Community Safety Advisory Committee: Deputy Mayor Laurie Murley (Windsor) and Councillor Russell Walker (Halifax) were appointed. Deputy Mayor Emily Lutz (Kings Co) and Mayor Bill MacDonald (Annapolis Royal) were previously appointed and continue to serve.
NS Joint Fire Services Committee Phase I: Councillors Jennifer Daniels (West Hants) and Wayne Thorburne (Bridgewater) were appointed.
Provincial/Municipal Accessibility Framework Working Group: Mayor Jeff Cantwell (Town of Wolfville), Councillor Laurie Cranton (County of Inverness) and Deputy Mayor Waye Mason (Halifax) were appointed.
Municipal Indicators Committee: Councillor Clarence Prince (CBRM) appointed.
- Financial Condition Index Sub-Committee: Deputy Mayor Emily Lutz (County of Kings)
- Governance Sub-Committee: Mayor Rachel Bailey (Town of Lunenburg); Councillor Fraser Patterson (County of Victoria); Mayor Sandra Snow (Town of Kentville) and Councillor Lennie White (Town of Westville) were appointed.
2. Rebranding Update--The Board agreed to write a letter to the province requesting the name change to the Federation of Nova Scotia Municipalities. Work is underway on a logo and related materials. A launch date will be announced in the new year. The Board did discuss the letter from the Municipality of the District of St. Mary’s and thanks them for the points they put forward.
3. PVSC--The UNSM Board received an update on PVSC initiatives.
4. Debrief of Annual Conference and Resolutions Process--Based on feedback received, staff was directed to amend the resolutions process to allow each Caucus to develop their top resolution for submission to the province. The Board discussed better ways to seek priorities from Councils, whether Statements of Interest are meaningful, and the wording of resolutions. Other amendments will be considered to improve the results.
5. FCM Board Meeting--UNSM President Geoff Stewart reported on the FCM Board Meeting in November in Ottawa. The major focus of the meeting was to meet with federal MPs and Senators, focussing on FCM key messages around housing and infrastructure. Nova Scotia FCM Board members – Warden Timothy Habinski, Councillor Tom Taggart, Councillor Russell Walker, and the UNSM President – met with the following: Colin Fraser; Darren Fisher; Stephen Greene; Geoff Regan; Sean Fraser; Andy Fillmore; Terry Mercer; Darrell Sampson and Bill Casey. The Board agreed to write to the Nova Scotia MP Caucus to request a meeting.
6. Cannabis--The Board agreed to write a letter to the Province with perspectives on the legalization of cannabis, and raising the need for funding to cover municipal incremental costs.
7. Physician Recruitment and Retention Advisory Committee--UNSM received a request from the Nova Scotia Health Authority seeking a nominee to the NSHA Physician Recruitment and Retention Advisory Committee. As the first meeting is scheduled for December 12, the Board will appoint a representative.
We are still the Union of Nova Scotia Municipalities. The Board continues to work on the rebranding initiative, including work on the name, logo and website. When all is ready, there will be a formal launch date.