Cannabis Legalization Symposium
LEGALIZATION OF CANNABIS: MUNICIPAL IMPACTS
DATE: May 26, 2017
TIME: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Four Points Sheraton, 1496 Hollis Street, Halifax, NS
The purpose is to:
- Discuss municipal issues and impacts associated with the impending legalization of cannabis
- Identify tools and support for municipal staff to prepare strategies for council consideration
- Gain insight into cannabis regulation and potential cannabis impacts from other jurisdictions and different orders of government
- Engage lessons learned from alcohol and tobacco in supporting healthy and safe municipalities
- Understand best practices in addressing community impacts associated with substance use.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Mayor Steven Skadron, City of Aspen
- Dr. Robert Strang, NS Chief Medical Officer of Health
- Rebecca Jesseman, Senior Policy Advisor, Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse
- Craig Reid, Senior Advisor, Association of Municipalities Ontario
- Bob Purcell, Director FPT Relations and Legislation, NS Department of Justice
- Brian Johnston, QC, Partner, Stewart Mckelvey
- Senior Planning Officials from Halifax Regional Municipality
For a full list of speakers please, please click here.
In addition to presentations from speakers, there will be focussed small group table discussions to look at specific areas of interest which could include enforcement, land-use planning, bylaws, and economic opportunities associated with the production and distribution of cannabis.
Space is limited so registration is on a first-come first-serve basis.
There are metropark parkades located on Granville Street or Hollis Street, which are directly across from the Conference Centre. The Hollis Street entrance is beside Cabin Coffee, the Granville Street entrance is across from MEC. Parking will be $19.00 a day. If people are staying in the hotel they have access to the underground hotel parkade which is 19.95 a day.