UNSM Board of Director Outcomes from June 26 meeting
- The Board reconfirmed its support of the principle of Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) as a means to offset the cost of solid waste. UNSM members had previously passed a resolution calling for EPR. Discussions will take place with municipalities on the EPR model to be developed based on industry paying 100 per cent of the costs or partial costs.
- The Board reaffirmed its support of all the recommendations contained in the Towns Task Force and will convey this in a letter to the Municipal Affairs Minister.
- The Board noted the end of the Municipal Sustainability Office and thanked Debbie Nielson for her efforts and success as the Sustainability Coordinator over the last six years. UNSM will continue to promote sustainability within available resources.
- The Board approved a change to the UNSM Long Service Awards. Upon request, a scroll thanking members for more than ten years of service may be awarded when the member retires from municipal government.
- The Board approved a recommendation from the Rural Caucus to write the Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure Renewal requesting the public release of the business case for increasing fares on Nova Scotia ferries.
- The Board approved a joint organizational review with the Association of Municipal Administrators to explore how the operational efficiencies and effectiveness of both organizations could be improved.