Federal Issues--November-December 2015
Refined Criteria for the Community Energy Category: On December 1st, Infrastructure Canada released a schedule revising the criteria for the Community Energy Systems category as it relates to new building construction and municipal building retrofits. The new schedule provides further detail.
Under the Community Energy Systems category, energy-efficient components of new building construction and building retrofits may be eligible for Gas Tax Funds (GTF), if they meet the following criteria:
New Building Construction:
- An energy audit is NOT required if the energy efficiency gained from the new building components can be measured by the number of kilowatt hours or litres of fuel saved.
- Only the cost differences of those energy efficient building components that exceed National Building Code of Canada (NBCC) standards are eligible for GTF. Municipalities are required to maintain documentation of these components.
Municipal Building Retrofit:
- An energy audit IS required to show the number of kilowatt hours or litres of fuel saved from the new energy efficient upgrades.
- Only the cost differences of those energy efficient upgrades that exceed NBCC standards are eligible for GTF. Municipalities are required to maintain documentation of these components.
- The cost for an energy audit is GTF-eligible.
It is recommended that municipalities contact the Province to confirm eligibility before beginning any new building construction or building retrofit project for which they intend to use GTF. For further clarification on this revision or to discuss project eligibility, please contact Hardy Stuckless, Manager of Infrastructure Programs, Department of Municipal Affairs at 902 424-2770 or .
Federal MPs: UNSM is requesting a meeting with the Nova Scotia MPs to discuss the municipal situation in Nova Scotia. Members are encouraged to send any issues or suggestions for change to Betty MacDonald, Executive Director